Last month I wanted to get a head start on some Valentine projects. I really wanted to make a fun Quarter Square Triangle (QST) heart since it would appear like a gemstone, perfect for Valentine's Day.
So I did all that quilty math to come up with my little 6 inch (6.5 inch unfinished) block.
And it fit perfectly with my little LOVE mini quilt that I made. Well I couldn't stop there. I needed to make a couple of 12 inch (12.5 inch unfinished) blocks to turn into pillows.
During the process I decided to write up a little tutorial to share my 6 inch and 12 inch Valentine Heart Block.
You can download a copy of my tutorial from my Payhip shop for free, here, as well.
Valentine Heart Block Tutorial
- Read all directions before you begin.
- All seams are ¼” allowance
- RST means right sides together
- HST means half square triangles
- QST means quarter square triangles
- Measurements for the 12 inch block are first followed by the (6 inch block).
Fabric Requirements - 12 inch block (6 inch block)
- 10 - 4 ½ inch red/pink squares (3 inch red/pink squares)
- 4 - 4 inch white squares (2 ½ inch white squares)
- 2 - 3 ½ inch white squares (2 inch while squares)
Step One - Making the block units
- Pair up the 10 4 ½ inch (3 inch) red/pink squares RST (a), draw a line on the back of one of the squares (b).
- Sew a ¼ inch away from that diagonal line in both directions (c), cut on the diagonal line (d) and press seams to the darker fabric. This will yield 10 HST.
- Take 6 HST then pair them up RST, nesting the seams. Draw a diagonal line from one unstitched corner to the other (a). Sew a ¼ inch away from the diagonal line, cut on the diagonal line (b), press seams open, and trim to 3 ½ inches (2 inches). This will yield 6 QST.
- Pair up the 4 remaining HST with 4, 4 inch (2 ½ inch) white squares (a) RST. (The white square will be slightly smaller than your HST and that is okay) The diagonal line will run from one unstitched corner to the other. Sew a ¼ inch away from the diagonal line (b), cut on the diagonal line (c), press seams open, and trim 3 ½ inches (2 inches) as well. This will yield 8, 3 patch QST.
Step Two - Assemble the block
- Layout your block including the 2, 3 ½ inch (2 inch) white squares by following the diagram.
- Stitch blocks into rows, press seams open.
- Stitch rows together, press seams open.
- Step back and admire your work.
I love this, and what fun that it is so teeny tiny! I on’t know that I’d have the courage to sew that small.ReplyDelete