Skip to main content

Auntie's Attic Super Tote


Auntie's Attic Super Tote

Earlier in the spring I made my very first Super Tote. And I must say I love the pattern, Anna's instructions are clear and easy to understand. The first time around I followed the pattern pretty closely and I was pretty happy with the results. A large bag that does double duty as a diaper bag for me.

In July, when I found out I was pregnant with #2, I knew I wanted to make another Super Tote, but with some modifications that would make it easier to wrangle a bag and two kiddos!

So I first wanted to downsize the pattern just a bit, since I pack a pretty light diaper bag (just a wet bag with a couple of diapers). After some trial and error, I decided on a reduction of 10%, not too much but just right. (I have plans for an even smaller one, once my kiddos are through with the diaper/toddler stage!) My tote finishes roughly 13.5" wide, 13.5 " tall, 3.25" to 4.875" deep. Just a little smaller than the original size Super Tote (see pattern for size information).

The next I decided to have a cross-body strap instead of handles. Bags with handles are fine and great, but when I'm chasing a toddler around town it is nice to just throw my bag across my shoulder and not have to worry about it. I have been using this bag for about a day so far and it is just perfect for my life right now!

Finally while I love bags that have zippers, I have found that I never zip them up. I'm constantly getting into my bag for this, that, and the other thing. So a zipper just didn't make sense. So I opted for a magnetic snap.

Inside view: bag is able to hold my wet bag, wallet, various zipper pouches, and a place for my phone!
Side by side comparison of my modified and unmodified Super Totes.
Bag Details
Exterior Main Fabric: Auntie's Attic in Red by Robert Kaufman
Exterior Gusset: Essex Yarn Dyed in Black by Robert Kaufman
Interior Main Fabric: Dottie Small Dots in Orange by Moda Fabrics
Interior Gusset: Kona Cotton in Ash by Robert Kaufman
Pockets: Oval Elements in Beaujolais Wine by Art Gallery Fabrics
Pieced with Aurifil in 50 wt White (#2024), topstitching in 40 wt Mango Mist (#4659)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Quilters Meet & Greet

Benita of Victoriana Quilt Designs approached me if I wanted to participate in a Quilter's Meet and Greet. And since both kiddos are in school this year, I actually have a little more time to actually blog, so I figured this was a great time to join the fun.

So here is a little more about me, my quilting journey, and life in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!

Hi! I'm Jess Pugh and I grew up in Ludington, Michigan, famous for the Lake Michigan Carferry the S.S. Badger. Went to Michigan State University for my undergrad in botany and later my Master's at University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee for my MLIS.


I was set up with my husband on a blind date, and were married 6 months later. In January 2020 we will be celebrating 12 years of marriage! This by far was one of the craziest things I've done!
I have two girls, Nora and Enna. Nora is a 1st grader this year and Enna started preschool. Plus we also have our 10 year old black lab, Berrie.
I started sewing as a way to help heal…

906 Quilt | UP Pixel Quilt | A Finished Quilt | Scrap Project 5 | 2019 FAL

I am so excited to have to quilt completed! Truly a labor of love. Made with 1.092 low volume squares and 252 green squares. My family and I moved to the Upper Peninsula (UP) in December 2017. This was completely blind move and we love it up here. I enjoy having access to all of the trails for running in the summer and X-C skiing in the winter. So not long after our move, I started planning a UP quilt. Drawing inspiration from other pixel state quilts, I decided a pixel UP was in order.


Finally this past winter, with pattern drawn up. I started making a couple of test blocks, so I could decide what size I wanted to commit to making. After much debate with myself, I decided on 1.5 inch squares. Then I broke my pattern into 16 patch blocks and started sewing away. This was such a great way to bust through my low volume and green scraps!


I just had to include a picture of the back with all of the pressed open seams. There is something so beautiful about pressed open seams. This was such…

Buffalo Plaid Quilt : A Finished Quilt

my last big Christmas gift is done! this year i wanted to make my BIL and SIL quilts, as i've made quilts for the kiddos, i figured it was their turn for a quilt. well i needed one more masculine quilt and i've always wanted to make a buffalo plaid quilt so this was perfect!

at first i was not looking forward to making this one, with all of the cutting and putting the small squares together. but after some thinking i decided i would strip piece and streamline the process. i was able to piece the top together in one day as opposed to multiple days if i would have cut individual squares.

i love this quilt, of course i now want to make one for myself, but that will be for another time.

Quilt Stats
Pattern: designed by me, inspired by buffalo plaid scarves and quilts
Dimensions: 61.5 inches x 74.5 inches
Quilting: Straight line echo
Fabric: Moda Bella solids, Black, Gray, Bleached White, and Marigold for the binding

Happy Sewing!